Friday, January 4, 2013

Challenges

I mentioned a while ago that I was going to start feeding my family "Real Food".  I found this site, and decided that we were ingesting way too many chemicals and not nearly enough good for you food.  Well, we've been doing pretty ok with it, but definitely not great.

The thing is, they have these great weekly pledges , which I consider to be more like challenges.  Anyone who knows me knows I can't back down from a challenge.  Starting this week, we are taking on these challenges, and I am challenging myself to a few more things:

1. Exercise regularly.  I joined a gym and paid way more than I could afford up front so I HAVE to go.  I am taking classes 5 days a week, including Zumba, Pilates, and Bodypump.  I currently weigh more than I ever have in my life (with the exception of when I was pregnant, of course), so this is a much needed thing.  So far I've lost 3 pounds!

2. Spend $50 or less a week on groceries.  This one will be tough, but with our Real Food pledges I think we can do it.  I'll basically just need to buy things like milk, butter, eggs, flour, yogurt, and produce.  Once in a while I'll need things like oil or sunflower seeds or oats or something.  My freezers are full of a 1/4 cow and 1/2 hog that I purchased locally from a friend so we should be set in that area.  I have never spent that little money on groceries, though, so that should be a challenge.  Have  I mentioned that we never go out to eat?  This will be tough!

3. Read the Bible in a year.  I've found a site that will walk me through it, and I plan to read it through chronologically.  This should be my easiest challenge yet!

4. Spend at least 30 minutes (cumulative) in active, engaged play with each of my boys each day.  No phones, no computers, no distractions of any kind.  Just me and my boys.  That doesn't seem like a lot of time, but it's surprising how often I'm distracted with other things when I'm playing with them.  All too often, I take for granted the fact that I'm with them all day long, so I don't really intentionally spend time with them.  Before I know it, the years will be behind us and I'll have not much to show for it.

With that said, I am getting off this computer now.  Time to go spend time with my boys!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!!! Love it!! I might copy your challenge and apply it to myself! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete