Sunday, April 21, 2013

Our Infertility Story- Part 1

For those of you who don't know, Scott and I have been struggling for fourteen months to have a third baby.  In November, we suffered a miscarriage at 5 1/2 weeks, and then another in March.  In honor of Infertility Awareness Week, I have decided to share our story.

 I have another blog on Xanga that I use to privately record everything that has been going on, so this week I will copy snippets of that blog to share with everyone here. 

Here is our infertility story, Part 1.


Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Infertile?

Here's a little background information on what's been going on:

March 2012- I went off birth control and ignored the doctor's commands to wait a few months before trying to conceive baby #3.  We weren't exactly trying, but we definitely weren't NOT trying.

June 2012- I started charting my temperature and realized something was wonky.  I never got my "spike" that I was supposed to get after ovulating.

July 2012- Still not pregnant, I made an appointment with my ob-gyn at Women's Health Services.  I needed a pap anyway, so I just asked that the doctor schedule me some extra time so we could discuss trying to conceive.  I did get my temperature spike this month.

August 2012- I started therapy for my crazy-psycho mood swings I've been having.  Every month I turn into a terrible ogre, and I don't like what's going on.  My therapist (Amy), told me I have mild depression and told me to take St. John's Wort.  I started it for a week or so, but stopped taking it for no reason other than something in my gut told me it wasn't necessary.  I also called my ob's office again, and cried to the nurse.  I explained to her that I have been pregnant three times in the first month of trying, and this (now 6 months) was highly unusual.  I also told her about my irregular periods (anywhere from 23 to 30 days), and heavy flow.  I'm also losing hair.  The nurse told me that there is definitely something going on, and that they would do blood draws at my appointment to find out what's happening.  She couldn't get me in any sooner than already scheduled, so I decided to wait one more month.

I also started using ovulation predictor kits in August.  I never surged.  Also did not get my temp spike.

September 2012- Still charting, still doing OPKs.  I went to the ob yesterday and was devastated when she told me that she would do my pap or my blood work, but she couldn't do both because insurance wouldn't cover both.  Frankly, I believe that she just decided she wanted to go home, as I was her last patient of the day.  She refused to look at my charts, and told me to come back in five months.  She left the room, I cried, then got dressed and opened the door.  That's when I noticed two nurses talking in hushed tones, and one of them said "she's coming out".  They then plastered fake smiles on their faces and asked if there was anything else I needed.  I quickly said "no" and walked out.  I'm sure they were talking about me; I'm convinced they were not saying nice things about me.

Today I called another OB clinic, and they told me they'd gladly see me, even though we are only on month 7 of trying.  I told the nurse that I have two children already,  but all signs are pointing to me not ovulating.  She was very sympathetic, and scheduled me an appointment for October 17th (the first available).

I'm very upset with the way I was treated at Women's Health.  I will not be returning there.  Nobody, especially not someone who is struggling with depression and infertility, should have to be made to feel the way I was yesterday. 

We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment